OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS FOR HALL AND EQUIPMENT
Revised October 2022
Instructions for all the equipment and facilities in the hall are contained in the following pages.
If you are unsure of how to work something, please read the instructions.
All the equipment works well, and will not work any better if you pull or hit it harder…it will probably break!
In particular please note the following to avoid most common breakages/damage:
- Do not pull the curtains in the main hall to open or shut them…pull the ropes on the right side of each curtain.
- Don’t drag chairs across the floor. Use the trolleys.
- Do not force the stair gate or pull it off its hinges. It works by operating the latch on the top on the right hand side.
- Do not force or kick the automatic door closer on the kitchen door.
- Do not use the dishwasher unless you are sure you know how it works.
- Do not put unrinsed plates in the dishwasher. Switch it off and empty it when you have finished.
- Switch off all internal and external lights when you leave. The square floodlight outside will stay on for about 30 seconds after you have left.
PLEASE REPORT ANY DAMAGE/FAILED EQUIPMENT TO THE MAINTENANCE OFFICER (07771971303)
ENTRANCE HALL AND TOILETS
FIRE ALARM (see page 1 of detailed instructions)
- To operate fire alarm push the black arrow.
- To stop the fire alarm, push the small black plastic key (on the chain next to the alarm) into the hole at the base of the call point (marked with an arrow) and push up until the alarm stops.
Hot water in kitchen and toilets is supplied by the boiler and may take up to 30seconds to run hot when taps are turned on.
The gas boiler heats the radiators in the entrance hall and toilets, and is programmed to come on when the hall is in use. If the entrance hall is not warm enough, there is an electric heater in the entrance hall near the kitchen door. This heater is thermostatically controlled and on a timer. When switched on (if cold enough) there will be a delay before the fan starts. The fan will also continue for a short time after the unit is switched off.
- Press the light switch near the entrance door to turn on the lights in the bar area.
- Twist clockwise to increase brightness, or anticlockwise to dim.
- The lights in the toilets come on automatically when you walk in and will turn off a few minutes after you leave.
- A ventilation fan will switch on and off at the same time as the lights.
- The flush for the urinals in the gents is automatic and the cistern will stop filling about 30 minutes after the last person leaves the room.
- The taps in the ladies and disabled loos operate automatically. Just hold your hands under the tap to operate.
- Hot water in the toilets is supplied “on demand” and will take 20-30 seconds to arrive at the tap.
ALARM IN DISABLED TOILET (see page 2 of detailed instructions)
Alarm will sound and light will flash if alarm cord is pulled. Pressing either the reset pad below the flashing light or on the control panel on the wall behind the bar will reset alarm.
FRIDGES (see page 3 of detailed instructions)
There are two fridges behind the bar. Switch on at the mains which you will find between the two fridges. The wine fridge temperature can be controlled by pressing the cold or warm button on the top of the door.
When you have finished, turn off the fridges and leave the doors slightly open.
AUTOMATIC DOOR CLOSER (see page 10 of detailed instructions)
- On the door between the entrance hall and the kitchen is an automatic door closer which can be used to hold the door open.
- Gently push down the plunger on the top of the unit and pull it slightly away from the door to lock in position.
- If this doesn’t work first time push plunger towards door and try again…do not push harder as this will have no effect.
- To release push the plunger towards the door.
- The plunger will release automatically when the fire alarm sounds.
There is a square automatic flood light that will turn on if anyone is outside in the dark, and turn off if the outside lights are on, or after 30 seconds. Outside the front door and inside there are switches for additional (round) floodlights outside and the porch lights. When you leave please ensure that the porch lights and switched, round floodlights are switched off. The square, automatic floodlight will stay on for about 30 seconds after you leave.
MAIN HALL AND ANNEX
The four pendants furthest from the entrance can be dimmed.
Switch for the spot lights is on the side of the meter cupboard, just under the middle window.
GAS HEATERS IN HALL (see page 4 of detailed instructions)
- Press “boost” button once to turn on gas fire for 30 minutes, twice for 1 hour and three times for 2 hours.
- Heater will light after about 30 seconds.
- Press button again to turn fire off at any time.
- Red light will indicate time selected and will stay on whilst fire is on.
CHAIRS (see page 11 of detailed instructions)
Don’t drag chairs, use the trolleys. No more than 4 chairs per stack, with backs facing outwards.
MUSIC SYSTEM (see page 12 of the detailed instructions)
In order to play music through the speakers in the hall, connect your device (ipod, iphone, ipad, android phone or laptop) to the bluetooth receiver (TP-LINK_MUSIC) which will work anywhere in the main hall. Turn on the amplifier; the switch is located on the frame of the door leading to the store room. Volume can be controlled with the volume control on your device.
REMEMEBR TO SWITCH THE AMPLIFIER OFF BEFORE YOU LEAVE
MICROPHONE, PROJECTOR AND SCREEN
Once booking is confirmed, please contact Maintenance Officer (07771971303) to get access to PA system and/or projector and screen.
In addition to the opening windows, there are roof windows upstairs in the annex. Pull cord sharply to open, and shut.
Please do not forget to shut all the windows when you leave.
There is a noise limiter in the hall. As sound levels increase, the yellow light near the ceiling above the meter cupboard will come on, warning that the limiter is about to operate.
Further increase in sound levels will cause the noise limiter to trip the electricity supply to all sockets in the building will then turn off for about 10 seconds and will then turn on again.
Please do not pull the curtains open or shut. There are cords on the right hand side to operate the curtains.
To open operate the latch on the top right hand side of the gate.
Do not force the gate, it opens easily if correctly operated.
CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM
This is situated in the main hall near the clock. If the alarm goes off switch all gas fires off immediately, open windows and doors and leave the hall.
HEATING (see page 5 of detailed instructions)
There is a heater in above the serving hatch to the main hall. The control unit is on the wall to the right of the hatch.
EXTRACTOR FAN (see page 6 of detailed instructions)
Lights and variable speed fan are operated by the buttons on the front of the extractor fan above the hobs.
DISHWASHER (See page 7 of detailed instructions)
If you are going to use Village Hall glasses or plates and cutlery we would prefer you to use the dishwasher. Please arrange a mutually convenient time for a member of the committee to teach you how to use it. Instructions are also on the dishwasher.
Hot water is provided from the gas boiler, it may take up to a minute to run hot when first used.
Please do not switch off the electric hand wash heater.
HOT WATER BOILER
Never switch on when empty, and only move it if it is empty. When full, it is very heavy.
Set desired power via the top dial and desired time on the bottom dial.
COOKER AND HOBS (see page 8 of detailed instructions)
Instructions are on the wall near the hobs.
COFFEE PERCOLATOR (See page 9 of detailed instructions)
There are two ventilation fans, one above the dishwasher and one above the oven. To switch on or off, pull the cord under the fan. Please remember to turn off before you leave
- There are rubbish bins to the left of the dishwasher and to the right of the sink.
- Each has a compartment for normal waste and recycling.
- Please empty all rubbish into the appropriate bin outside when you leave.
- Glass bottles must be taken away with you together with any rubbish that won’t fit into the bins.
When a light bulb fails the associated LCD will trip, causing other lights on the same circuit to go out.
When this happens the LCD can be reset by returning the relevant switch to its original position.
LCDs for the lights in the main hall are in the cupboard below the sound limiter (key on chain above the cupboard). LCDs for all other lights are in the passage from the entrance hall to the toilets, above the door to the disabled toilet.
RCDs for the electrical sockets in the hall are in the cupboard under the sound limiter, and for all other sockets in the passage to the toilets.
RCD’s can be reset if power to the sockets is lost, but you must stop using any equipment that causes any RCD.
If any Village Hall electrical equipment stops working do not try to repair. Please report to the Maintenance Officer as soon as possible.