Fire or Smoke Alarm
If you or one of your guests discover a fire (no matter how small) or a smoke alarm sounds…
- Immediately raise the alarm by pushing the black circle on the fire alarm. The alarm is situated in the entrance hall on the wall just next to the kitchen door.
- Ask guests to leave the hall quickly (leaving all belongings behind) and without panicking using the exit(s) furthest away from the fire (If you have locked the front door for security reasons, unlock it to let people out).
- Instruct guests to assemble in the car park of the Three Tuns Public House—just across the road from the Village Hall.
- Shut fire doors, including the kitchen hatch—the fire door between the kitchen and the entrance hall will shut automatically when the fire alarm sounds.
- Telephone the emergency services.
- Attack the fire if possible, only if you know how to use the extinguishers provided, but without taking personal risk.
- Once you are sure everyone is safely out of the building shut all external doors.
- Ensure clear access for the emergency vehicles.
- There are two smoke alarms in the entrance hall, and one in the main hall near the kitchen hatch, and one upstairs in the annex.
If you or one of your guests smells gas…
- Do not try to identify the source of the leak.
- Get everyone out of the hall immediately, using front door or the fire doors if necessary.
- Turn off the gas at the meter (in the cupboard below the noise limiter). There is a key on the chain above the cupboard—(see also plan of the hall).
- Put out naked flames—do not turn electrical switches on or off.
- Open windows and doors but ensure no one re-enters the hall.
- Contact National Grid Gas Emergency Number 0800 111 999, and follow instructions.
- Inform the Maintenance Officer (07771971303). If the MO is not available, please ensure that someone remains at the hall to prevent anyone going into the hall and to give access to emergency personnel, who will arrive within one hour.
Carbon Monoxide Alarm
If the CO alarm (on the wall in the main hall near the clock) sounds….
- Get everyone outside immediately.
- Switch off the gas supply at the meter (in the cupboard under the noise limiter)
- Open windows and doors.
- Leave the building.
- Contact Gas Emergency number 0800 111 999 and follow instructions.
There is a first aid box in the kitchen. South Wing in Bedford is the nearest hospital with A & E facilities.
There is a defibrillator outside the front door. If required, just follow instructions on the box.
If there is an accident or incident of any type please fill in the accident book that is in the first aid box behind the kitchen door. A member of the Village Hall Management Committee must also be informed as soon as possible. Depending on the seriousness of the accident a formal report form may be required.
There is a plan of the hall showing the location of the fire alarm, emergency exits, fire extinguishers and the main gas valve in the kitchen, in the main hall (under the noise limiter) and in the file in the kitchen.